Simpson is committed to responsible stewardship of the environment and natural resources. Our policy reflects our dedication to the principles of environmental excellence and leadership.
Simpson's Environmental Policy
- Foster a beyond compliance philosophy in our business such that operations achieve or exceed all applicable environmental laws and regulations.
- Make environmental considerations a priority in operating existing facilities and planning new ones.
- Set meaningful, measurable goals for environmental performance and implement environmental management systems that track progress toward these goals.
- Minimize effects on the environment and work to continuously improve environmental performance through practices such as pollution prevention and resource conservation.
- Provide education for our employees to educate them on their responsibilities for environmental compliance and management.
- Certify that our fiber and wood purchasing practices foster sustainable forest management and the wise use of America's most abundant renewable resource.
- Regularly review and update our environmental performance and management systems.
Simpson's Environmental Performance
Policies are one thing. Performance is another. Simpson Investment Company and its subsidiaries have a long history of working together with neighbors, governmental agencies, conservationists and others to address environmental issues in ways that benefit all of us. Simpson has voluntarily implemented a number of projects to improve the environmental performance of its operations. It's all about working together for a common goal.
- Our sawmills use the latest technology such as laser-guided saws to ensure the most lumber out of every log. What can't be turned into building materials is sold as wood chips, which are made into pulp and paper. Bark and sawdust are sold for use in landscaping and particleboard.
- Simpson has been in the forefront of paper recycling technology for decades. Simpson Tacoma Kraft Company, LLC in Tacoma, Wash., recycles more than 500 tons of waste paper and boxes every day to make sturdy paper for boxes and bags - reducing waste paper in landfills and improving the environment.
- Simpson Tacoma Kraft Company, LLC also voluntarily instituted a water conservation program, which saves some 10,000,000 gallons of drinking water every day -- enough to fill more than 500 Olympic-sized swimming pools.
- All of the paper mill's paper products are 100% elemental chlorine-free.
- Lumber produced by Simpson Lumber Company, LLC is certified under the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI). This involves meeting stringent guidelines for using timber from SFI managed forests.